Best Lab Refractometer For Brewing Juices
Whether you’re making fruit juice, wine, honey, beer, or want to check your aquarium’s salinity, you need the best refractometer. It can measure the concentration of the solution. Such as how much sugar is dissolved in the water. Most people will prefer a handheld analog refractometer because it is the most affordable and easy to operate.
Additionally, If you’re a world-famous scientist or someone eager to start making beer from scratch, a refractometer offers many benefits. You need to know why you want to use a refractometer. Different types have different designs and purposes. If you use an incorrect one, you won’t get accurate results. You need to know the complete information about what is refractometer and how it works, and for what purpose you want to use it. Once you know the purpose, you can find a suitable refractometer for your job.
That’s why there are various models on the market. Thus, we appreciate it can be daunting to shop for the best refractometer. Here’s our guide that will make your search a little easier. You’ll find information about important features and resources you need to consider before you buy. And better yet, we’ve included our recommendations for the best refractometer for different applications.
Our Top Pickup of Best Refractometer
- Tiaoyeer Brix Refractometer
- AUTOUTLET Brix Refractometer with ATC
- Vee Gee Scientific BX-1 Refractometer
- Ade Advanced Options
- Brix Refractometer for Beer Wort
- Milwaukee Digital Salinity Refractometer
- Anpro Brix Refractometer
- MISCO AQUAR-H20 Palm Abbe Digital Refractometer
- ATAGO PAL-1 Digital Pocket Reflectometer
- Aichose Brix Refractometer
1. Tiaoyeer Brix Refractometer
The Tiaoyeer Brix refractometer comes with a Brix scale of 0.32%. The Tiaoyeer Brix Refractometer features a sophisticated averaging mechanism. Moreover, reliable and highly reliable, the device contributes significantly to quality management, product quality, and efficiency reduction.
Using a Brix best refractometer, it is possible to measure Brix in the range of 0-32%0.2% and Specific Gravity in the range of 1.000-1.130, Brix Accuracy: +/-0.3%. ADVANCED ATC(Automatic Temperature Compensation) TECHNOLOGY (10°C-30°C): Adapts to Changes in Temperature automatically to provide you with fast results.
You can take work samples using droppers and then place them on the prisms. The refractometers may be held up to the light, and the scale readout viewed through the eyepiece has greater accuracy in measuring sugars in various fruits and juices.
Features of Tioayeer
- The tool is excellent for measuring Brix between 0 to 32% and gravity between 1.000 to 1.130 with 0.2% accuracy.
- The automatic temperature compensation feature makes it easier to get fast and the best results.
- Take a dropper to get a sample of wort and put it on the prism. After that, hold the reflectometer up to light and check through an eyepiece.
Specifications of Tioayeer
|Color ||Brix Refractometer|
|Item Weight||3.50 ounces
|Style||Beer Wort Refractometer|
Tiaoyeer Brix Refractometer
- Non-corrosive, non-staining, and non-reactive material
- Lightweight and compact in size
- Provide great accuracy results
- Best rubber grip
- Prism assembly with the cover plate for good results
- Calibration instructions are not clear
2. AUTOUTLET Brix Refractometer with ATC
The AUTOUTLET refractometer is an excellent tool that comes with the rapidly and accurately read Brix (0-32% Brix) and Specific Gravity (1.000-1.130) simultaneously. No switching units required! The Brix Refractometer is a handheld refractometer with automatic temperature compensation (ATC). It accounts for changes in ambient temperatures and adjusts automatically to provide accurate and repeatable measurements.
However, No lookup table or wasted time required. Just take a little bit of your brew and spread it on the prism, then hold the refractometer to the light and look through the eyepiece to get the reading. For use in homebrewing, wine production, agriculture & gardening, and education. This refractometer comes with a dropper, screwdriver, user manual, and cleaning cloth, and it measures 832 inches by 22 inches by 8.8 ounces, making it very portable and easy to carry.
Hence, It made a difference in the world for me to get a refractometer. Two drops are the minimum sample size for a refractometer. Just savings from beer alone would cover the cost of the system. My hydrometer had just broken, so I realized hydrometers are made of breakable glass.
Features of AUTOUTLET
- The Brix Refractometer is the best tool for homebrew, agriculture, winemaking, and many more.
- You can measure on Brix and specific gravity dual scales.
- The automatic temperature compensation system work from 10C to 30C
- The tool is relatively easy to use; take few drops of brew on the prism and hold it to light, and check through the eyepiece to get reading.
- The calibration provides accurate measurements
Specifications of AUTOUTLET
|Size Brix Refractometer||±0.002|
|Brix||0.2 % Brix|
|Length||Approx. 17cm/ 6.69"
AUTOUTLET Brix Refractometer with ATC
- Great tool for homebrew
- Lightweight and compact in size
- Easy to use
- Accurate measurements
- Bad quality rubber
3. Vee Gee Scientific BX-1 Refractometer
VEE GEE BX-1 is a handheld refractometer for measuring sugar that is water-resistant, handheld, and can be carried in one hand, utilizes ambient light to operate, has manual temperature compensation, and a durable metal body with finger grip. In a Brix refractometer, the refractive index values in a sample are converted to sugar concentration in terms of percent by weight (% Brix or degrees Brix), and the results are displayed. In the culinary, food and beverage, pharmaceutical, educational, chemical, biotech, and geophysical, and for water-testing applications, handheld refractometers, also called sugar meters, concentration meters, or Brix meters, are commonly used.
The VEE GEE BX-1 comes with durable metal housing. The VEE GEE BX-1 refractometer has manual temperature compensation with a range of ambient temperatures from ten degrees to thirty degrees Celsius. This unit is factory-calibrated so that you can calibrate it with distilled water. Calibration can be controlled and adjusted without using any tools using a set screw and a calibration ring.
A rubber coating on the outer shell ensures easy gripping and guards against heat and accurate measurements. Non-roll stands to prevent equipment from rolling on flat surfaces like tables and benches. To provide quick temperature equilibrium between the optical glass prism and sample, the prism is mounted in an all-metal housing made of copper alloy with a nickel-chrome coating.
Brix scales feature bright, high-contrast displays that enable users to see the boundary and memory lines intersection. A monocular, focusable, cushioned eyepiece watches instantaneous sample readings in ambient light. An instruction manual is also included as well as a zippered carrying case with a plastic transfer pipet.
Features of Vee
- The portable handheld refractometer measure juices, coffee, sugar content in liquid, soups, and many more
- Using the tool-free calibration ring, you can manually check temperature compensation and calibrated with distilled water
- Ambient light illuminates the scale. After that, there’s no need for any additional power source
- The rubber outer shell provides an excellent grip to guard against the hand heat for accurate measurements.
- For quick temperature equilibrium between prism and sample optical glass prism mounted in an all-metal housing
Specifications of Vee
|Item Weight||11.2 ounces
|Length ||40 millimeters|
|Measurement Type ||Brix, Temperature|
|Size With Brix Scale,|| 0-32%, +/-0.2% Accuracy, 0.2% Resolution
Vee Gee Scientific BX-1 Refractometer
- Portable tool
- Use for various products measurements
- Durable metal body
- Great rubber grip
- Manual temperature compensation
- Don’t function well
4. Ade Advanced Options
The Ade advanced options come with automatic temperature compensation of 10 – 30 degrees Celsius, and this refractometer measures the sugar content of beer. This refractometer is intended to replace your hydrometer for more accurate and more manageable measurements.
Put a drop of wort on the prism with the dropper. Take the refractometer, look at it through the eyepiece, and then hold it up to the light. Due to the dual scales, there is no need to convert into specific gravity as the scale measures both Brix and SG. The tool comes in a carry case with a two-year warranty. The company also offers refractometers ranging from 0 to 100 refraction. Custom ranges available upon request.
Features of Ade
- The advanced dual-range optics refractometer measures the Brix and specific gravity of wine and wort.
- The automatic temperature compensation feature for accurate readings
- This tool is more accurate and easier than a hydrometer for measuring sugars
- Unit comes with a two-year warranty
Specifications of Ade
|Height ||1.0 inches|
|Item Weight ||0.700 ounces|
|Length ||6.0 inches|
|Material||aluminum body with optic lens
Ade Advanced Options
- Easy to use
- Portable sugar content tester
- Automatic temperature compensation control
- Dual range refractometer
- Great quality
- Two-year warranty
- Need constant calibration
5. Brix Refractometer for Beer Wort
You may perceive the plan on the off chance that you look carefully. The MA887 refractometer is fundamentally a rebranded Hanna HI96822 – the solitary contrast is the cost. You can purchase Milwaukee for a negligible portion of the expense.
A straightforward “no salt” adjustment is everything necessary two or three drops of converse assimilation. Concerning results, this refractometer gives an estimation within three seconds and gives off an impression of being sufficiently exact. The LCD screen even shows the room temperature, a variable that can adjust the outcomes.
The solitary migraine I had was when utilizing the gadget in a splendid room – I got a blunder message during testing. Be that as it may, this was my flaw, and the unit worked fine and dandy when I killed the light. My lone grievance is that the refractometer is stripped down and doesn’t accompany a case or pipette to allot water effortlessly. In any case, these can be bought independently.
Features of Brix
- Precisely and rapidly display Brix 0 – 23% and gravity 1.000 – 1.130 at the same time.
- Handheld brewing refractometer with automatic temperature compensation that works greatly
- Easy to use take few drops of product which you want to test, hold the model to the light and look to get readings through the eyepiece
- Best for winemaking, homebrew, gardening, and agricultural
Specification of Brix
|Item Weight||7.2 ounces
|Model Number ||COMINHKPR121676|
Brix Refractometer for Beer Wort
- Portable and compact
- Best for homebrew
- Easy to use
- It comes with a dropper, screwdriver, and cleaning cloth
- It didn’t function well
6. Milwaukee Digital Salinity Refractometer
Our superior decision is from Milwaukee, a brand with an extraordinary standing in the realm of home improvement and estimating instruments. This is the principal electronic refractometer on the rundown, and it unquestionably doesn’t disillusion. The individuals who are aquarium fans will cherish this gadget.
This specific instrument is an advanced saltiness refractometer. It accompanies the ATC highlight. However, most clients suggest that you adjust this apparatus before each utilization. Milwaukee has made a refractometer that actions three distinctive information focuses: pragmatic saltiness units (PSU), saltiness in parts per thousand (ppt), and explicit gravity. Likewise, with most refractometers, you will need to make a point to clean this unit among utilizations and adjustments.
The yellow LED show is not difficult to peruse and gives you the information you look for not long after testing. It won’t just reveal to you the aftereffects of your test yet, also the temperature at which you tried it. This can help for adjustment purposes. To switch between readings, just press the “read” catch, and you are all set.
As referenced, this instrument is famous for individuals who are not kidding about keeping a saltwater aquarium at home. This item is held in high respect, regardless of whether some think it’s baffling to recalibrate it without fail. Your underlying buy will accompany aligning liquid. However, it would help if you bought more when you run out.
Features of Milwaukee
- The Milwaukee digital salinity refractometer comes with the automatic temperature compensation
- 1 PSU resolution has several industrial applications
- The unit comes with a yellow LED display
Specifications of Milwaukee
|Item Weight ||1.50 pounds|
|Height ||67 millimeters|
|Measurement Type||Salinity, Temperature|
Milwaukee Digital Salinity Refractometer
- Best for saltwater tank enthusiasts
- Easy to use and read
- Three data points
- Elegant look
- Lightweight and compact in size
- Need constant calibration
7. Anpro Brix Refractometer
This refractometer estimates the sugar substance of the brew and incorporates a programmed temperature pay of 10 – 30 degrees Celsius. This refractometer can swap your hydrometer for more straightforward and more exact estimations. Just utilize the dropper to take an example of wort and put it on the crystal. At that point, hold the refractometer up to the light and glance through the eyepiece. Because of the double scale, there is no need to convert to explicit gravity as the scale estimates both Brix and SG.
However, Accurate estimation relies upon cautious adjustment. The crystal and test should be at similar temperatures for precise outcomes. Do not open the instrument to sodden working conditions. Furthermore, don’t submerge the instrument in water. If the instrument gets hazy, water has entered the body. Call the certified help specialist or contact your seller.
Do not quantify rough or destructive synthetics with this instrument. They can harm the crystals covering. Clean the instrument between every estimation utilizing a delicate, soggy fabric. Inability to clean the crystal consistently will prompt mistaken outcomes and harm to the crystal’s covering. Moreover, This is an optical instrument. It requires cautious dealing with and capacity. Inability to do so can bring about harm to the optical segments and their essential construction. With care, this instrument will give long stretches of solid help.
Features of Anpro
- Brix Refractometer comes with the automatic temperature compensation
- Best portable sugar content tester, great replacement for hydrometer
- It’s pretty easy to use place few drops of brew on the surface of the prism, close it and take readings
- It is compact in size, sturdy design, and lightweight tool and convenient to keep up carry around
Specifications of Anpro
|Included Components||Brix Refractometer|
|Item Weight|| 8.8 ounces
Anpro Brix Refractometer
- Easy to use
- Compact in size
- Portable sugar content tester
- Easy to operate
- Best choice for homebrew
- Made of bad quality
8. MISCO AQUAR-H20 Palm Abbe Digital Refractometer
This model is Made here in America, and the MISCO AQUAR-H20 is the Rolls Royce of refractometers. It doesn’t get any precise than this, and the best part is that it is intended to be utilized with aquarium water. Consequently, It is the most exact compact refractometer available – its closest rivals are seat top lab instruments that cost many dollars. In the examination, this is a deal. Regarding activity, it is indistinguishable from some other advanced refractometers. Essentially align the unit with refined or deionized water, and you are all set.
Moreover, An elastic coat will also ensure the gadget if you drop it – A vital frill, as this is a costly refractometer to break. If this is well in your financial plan, look at the H50 model, a redesign of the H20 that likewise tests the chlorinity and conductivity of your fish tank.
Features of MISCO
- The tool is quite easy to use with a single button to take readings and one button to cycle through menu options
- This unit can automatically calibrate itself to water through the automatic temperature compensation (ATC)
- Elegant design with fantastic colors collection
Specifications of MISCO
|Number of Items|| 1
MISCO Palm Abbe Digital Refractometer
- Provide more accuracy
- Shows reading at the point
- Lightweight tool
- Elegant style and great color collection
- Hard to find
9. ATAGO PAL-1 Digital Pocket Reflectometer
This unit is an excellent digital Brix refractometer in the world! A favorite of food industry professionals! Water and dust-proof to ip65 levels! That’s the industry best! Atago PAL-1 (0% to 53% Brix Scale) Hand-held Digital Refractometer in a WHITE, froth-lined vinyl case. Besides, This unit is particularly convenient for testing things like natural products.
So forth, vegetables, grasses, plants, trees, for their sugar content, just as Raw Maple Sap, Soda Fountains, Barbeque Sauces, Ketchups, Metwlworking Coolant (Soluble Oil, Semi-Synthetic and Synthetic), Lobster Blood and the sky is the limit from there. Also, Calibrate with Water and wipe clean with a cotton towel, and you’re all set! You have exceptionally exact outcomes like a flash! This is an incredible and easy-to-utilize unit that has the unbeatable nature of Atago.
Hence, the device accompanies the Case, batteries, and a Users Guide. This is the Refractometer of Professionals! The PAL-1 is outfitted with “Programmed Temperature Compensation” for precise estimations without recalibration after shifts in surrounding working temperature. The “ATC” range permits you to test HOT Samples! The unit runs off (2) AAA batteries on a LARGE PRINT advanced LCD show.
Features of ATAGO
- The digital Brix refractometer is a lightweight and compact tool
- Perfect sample temperature scale with 9.0 – 99’C
- Great tool for testing vegetables, fruits, CNC coolant, grape must, and beer wort
- The unit comes with the white foam-lined vinyl hard case
Specifications of ATAGO
|Item Weight||3.53 ounces|
|Package Dimensions||9.09 x 4.88 x 2.68 inches
|Batteries||2 AAA batteries required
|Voltage|| 3 Volts
|Battery Cell Type||Alkaline|
ATAGO Pocket Reflectometer
- Lightweight tool
- Perfect for testing
- It comes with a hard vinyl case
- LCD Display and two batteries
- Automatic temperature compensation
- Not find yet
10. Aichose Brix Refractometer
Its NCV Inductive Probe operation ensures safety while testing; It can automatically detect live wires and null wires; Intelligibly identify Electric Fields; When in the vicinity of the voltage to be tested, the pen will produce an alarm sound; Safety Compliance. This Voltage Tester Pen has a dual testing range (12-1000V AC or 48-1000V AC); Automatic Recognition of Voltage Intensity; when used, the NVC sensor can automatically identify and display the voltage on the LCD screen, giving you accurate voltage readings.
However, when testing voltage, the screen will display the voltage intensity in the display; The screen will display red or green to distinguish live wires from neutral wires; The flashlight will indicate a battery change if the voltage drops below 2.5 V. Hence, The white LED flashlight with high brightness, and low power consumption helps in lighting the workspace in the dark; The lamp and probe are combined, making measurement easier; The buzzer alarms are loud; Triple detection of light, sound, and screen for testing \When the voltage detector is idle for about 3 minutes without any operation or signal detection, the tool’s battery life will be extended, and the power will be saved; you can take it out quickly with the convenient pencil hook.
Features of Aichose
- The insulation operation ensures the safety of testing, and it will automatically detect the null or live wire
- The adjustable sensitivity makes it more flexible and sensitive
- It comes with a great quality LCD screen and Low battery indicator for testing
- The LED flashlight and low power consumption helps in illuminating workspace in dark areas
Specifications of Aichose
|Product Dimensions ||6.42 x 1.38 x 1.26 inches|
|Item Weight|| 2.89 ounces
|Batteries ||2 AAA batteries required. (included)|
|Style||Electronic voltage tester|
|Power Source||Battery Powered|
Aichose Brix Refractometer
- Automatic shutdown
- Portable pencil hook
- LED flashlight & buzzer alarm
- Low battery indicator & high definition LCD screen
- Looks cheap
Buying Guide of Best Refractometer
You’ll need a refractometer for several hobbies. The trick is getting a suitable refractometer for the hobby. It is also essential that you do not mix hobbies while using your refractometer, as you should not be feeding fish beer or brewing beer with fish water (gross)! It can become easy to remember what you need to do.
The most cost-effective option is analog refractometers. Everything can be done easily and quickly by simply putting a few drops of the solution you wish to measure in the designated spot and then observing the resulting refractometer’s scale. One disadvantage is that the models must be held up to adequate light to give accurate readings.
The digital refractometers cost significantly, but you will get various benefits such as an easy-to-read display and effortless calibration with the single push of a button. Adding liquid and pressing a button gives you a precise reading. The drawbacks are the price as mentioned above, plus the ongoing cost of batteries.
Beverage & Brewers Makers
The refractometers that measure Brix and specific gravity are what you need for this hobby. There are many on the market, and the ones are shown here will measure both at once.
Aquarium Hobbyist & Marine Biologists
If you are testing the salinity, you test the animal’s environment to be confident in your instrument. Although frequent calibration for home brewing and beverage making is recommended, doing so here is strongly advised.
Delivery problems are all too common. Look for the customer service team’s reputation for any refractometer you intend to purchase and make sure to find whether there is a warranty. It might cost more than you expected, but you will be grateful in the long run.
There’re various reasons for using the best refractometer, and you may also need various scales. A unit that shows the scale you can use will be the best to operate. However, few models feature dual scales for versatility.
Few analog models come with the LED that is used as a light source. It makes the model more comfortable to read.
Few tiny moving parts on the analog refractometer. Even the great models can be fragile, so the sturdier the build, the best.
The best refractometer comes with the case. It’s great because you will need to keep the model from getting scratched or dirty as it will affect the precision.
We aimed to brew up the best refractometer reviews to understand better what you need to shop for this instrument. Several manufacturers manufacture these valuable tools, so it can be challenging to know where to start.
Hence, We hope that our reviews have helped simplify the process a bit for you! Which one do you want to purchase? Regardless of which one you choose, we firmly stand by our top pick from Magnum Media, but Anpro is another excellent choice. Enjoy your hobby!
How does the best refractometer work?
It simply measures how much light refracts when traveling through a solid or liquid. The less pure a sample is, meaning the higher concentration of dissolved substance like sugar containing the best refraction.
Are refractometers challenging to use?
No, it's not difficult to operate. In various instances, after the properly calibrating instrument, you need to do a drop or two drops of liquid that you need to measure on the designated area and hold the refractometer up to the light source to take a reading.
How to know that refractometer is calibrated?
Most refractometers are based on the scale division equivalent to the water. It shows that you can test the calibration by taking a sample reading of water. For a Brix refractometer, the reading must be 0.0.