Best Whole House Generator [Buyer’s Guide]
The house is the most significant investment of every person. If you live in such areas that are prone to flooding or harsh winters, you may experience power outages at some conditions. It can be much worse than the inconvenience of not having refrigeration or lights. Your basement might be flooded, and there’s no way of pumping the water, or you might end up without the heat during a bitter snowstorm, which is a life-threatening situation. A Best whole house generator is an excellent investment to be prepared for emergencies.
A generator helps you to provide electricity to your house, even if there is a blackout in the area or if a power line has been knocked down.
There is a vast range of whole house generators available in the market. They will be graded by the number of kilowatts they produce. The more kilowatts, the more electric devices you will be able to run simultaneously.
For starters, you’ll want to run your oven, refrigerator, and central heating. But the stronger generator will also be more expensive. Some smart generators can help you to program to direct the electricity to all the appliances that you want the most.
You’ll also need to consider the fuel efficiency, size, and perhaps other spaces as well. We have composed this buyer’s guide to help you make the right decision during the selection of the whole house generator. Our guide will help you to choose the right type of whole house generator.
Types of Whole House Generators
There are two basic types of generators. Manual and automatic switches both are available in different sizes. The smaller ones are portable, and they come with the caster wheels. The main goal is to be used wherever they are needed.
Automatic transfer switch
The ATS will automatically turn on the unit when the power outage. The main advantage of ATS is that you do not have to be home to start the generator. If you live in such an area that faces frequent power failures, an automatic transfer switch generator is recommended. The ATS generators are available in different 3 different sizes 50, 100 and 200 amps.
Manual switch generators are different from ATS, require the homeowner to be present to turn on the generator. These are less expensive and a manual operation switch.
The essential feature of the Best Whole House Generator
If you are looking at different generators on the market to power your home, you will defiantly find that there are some features that you need to explain. It’s not just that all generators have all these features. More explanation will help you to decide features are essential to you. Here is a list of features available in the best whole house generator.
If you think about the comfort of your family, you must buy a generator that starts automatically when the power goes out.
If you want to move your generator quickly from one place to another, you should purchase a generator that comes with the wheels.
Another powerful feature, if you purchase a generator that provides electricity with electric start. So, there’s no need to use the pull-start every single time when you need to switch on the unit.
The majority of generators come with the facility of more than one fuel type. For instance, some generators can work with both propane and gasoline.
The fuel gauge feature makes it simpler to determine when you need to add fuel in the tank of your generator.
Understanding Best Whole House Generator Fuel Choice
Diesel is the traditional fuel choice of many appliances and backup power machines. There are many benefits of diesel, such as high thermal efficiency, so that it will yield a low cost per KW in large appliances.
Also, Diesel stores on site, so it can be used in remote areas where natural gas is not a workable option.
For cost-effectiveness, perceptions of fuel durability, reliability, and power density, gaseous fuels were avoided in the past.
However, in the new technological advancements changed that. There are hardened seats and values to optimized fuel mixtures.
Natural gas generators run similarly as the gasoline-powered. An internal combustion engine introduces a blend of fuel and air into the combustion chamber, and the piston compresses the mixture.
Unlike gasoline and diesel-powered generators, natural gas generators must have the ability to burn gaseous fuel rather than liquid ones.
Liquid propane (LP)
Liquefied or liquid petroleum gas (LPG or LP) is a mixture of hydrocarbon gases that are known as propane or butane and used in heating appliances, cooking equipment, and vehicles.
In the backup power system, this can be in LP liquid and LP vapor configurations. We recommend you to prefer LP vapor.
The spark ignited fuel run in automotive engines adapted for its use. LP must be stored on-site as diesel; therefore, it gives a tremendous gaseous-fuel. An alternative to diesel for appliances that need on-site but it has the features of no fuel spoilage.
Our best pick up whole house generators
- Generac 7117 gp2200i generator
- 120 Volt Supersilent Portable Inverter Generators for Honda 2200 Watts
- Generac Guardian – Standby air generator (aluminum, 22 / 19.5 kW)
- Briggs & Stratton 40445
- Kohler 20RESCL-100lc16
- DuroMax XP4400EH Generator
- Ai Power SUA12000EC 12000 W gas generator with electric starter
- Briggs & Stratton 40346 home standby generator
- Kohler 14RESAL-200sels
- Champion 100294 – Standby power generator
1. Generac 7117 GP2200i Generator
The GP2200i portable inverter generator gives outdoor enthusiasts with a power solution designed for a variety of open-air festivities. From weekends in the woods to the outdoor cookouts and get-togethers with your family or friends, this model gives the stable power you want without disturbing surrounding wildlife or neighbors.
Whether you’re tailgating for the simple or big game, want to increase your campsite experience without any disturbance. Generac’s GP2200i 2200 watts portable inverter is excellent for you. For more power, two more units together with work to provide you electricity.
The Generac GP 2200i has an 80cc, gas-powered, four-stroke engine with the 1.2-gallon tank of fuel. The engine oil is the usual 10W-30, and the oil pan has a 0.36 Qt oil capacity with a low oil level shut down sensor.
The engine of this generator is started with a recoil pull-start cord. This unit never comes with the electric start, and there’s no more space for an internal battery in such a compact enclosed design. The run, off, and chock switches have been combined into a single knob to simplify the starting process.
Features of Generac Generator
- This unit features the proprietary Truepower Technology that gives clean power free of voltage fluctuations, making it ideal for your appliances and sensitive electronics.
- The GP3300i runs for 10.75 long hours at 25% load on a 1.2 fuel tank. The economy mode, using the advanced technology, maximizes fuel usage by maintaining engine speed to match the capacity.
- This generator comes with the parallel kit that allows you to connect a second GP2200I for double power output
- Super quality operation features to reduce the noise. You can carry out a conversation usually within its vicinity.
- This Portable, compact, and stylish unit comes with handle and 46.6lbs in weight, which makes firing it up a breeze.
Specifications of Generac Generator
|Product dimensions||18 x 11 x 17|
|Product weight||46 pounds|
|Fuel capacity||1.2 gallon|
- Quiet and neighbor-friendly
- True Power technology gives clean and stable power
- Lightweight and compact
- LED indicators
- For charging USB port
- For connecting twice the power parallel ready
- Low oil level automatically shut down the unit
- Form environment protection covered outlet
- Integrated run/off simplifies startup
- Expensive unit than similar models
- Under the higher load, the unit generates reports of surging
- Not CARB compliant
2. 120 Volt Supersilent Portable Inverter Generators for Honda 2200 Watts
The Honda EU2200i is a great generator that offers up to 2200 watts of surge power and 1800 watts of continuous power. Honda is famous for making engines that last forever, and many customers who owned and use this generator for many years without an engine failure will swear by that quality.
The engine of this generator runs relatively clean and won’t leave you breathing in a cloud of gasoline emissions while working. Honda offers you three years warranty for both commercial users and residential users.
This is a portable inverter generator, which means that it can convert power from AC to DC and again back to AC before delivering it to the outlets. That’s why the price of this generator is high. Another essential feature of this generator is that it comes with the low-level noise.
The flaw in this inverter design is the run time, which is limited to 3.2 hours when running at the maximum wattage. You can run this generator for the entire day by keeping it below 500 watts, which limits the appliances you can power.
Features of Honda Portable Inverter Generator
- Reliable power is at your fingertips with Honda inverter generator You can operate a wide variety of appliances, a perfect choice for camping, job sites and home
- This generator makes less noise and produces 48 to 5 dBA. This feature makes it ideal for home, parties, camping.
- You can add a second EU2200i for additional power.
- The EU2200i offers an excellent fuel capacity, which runs 4.0 to 9.6 hours on a single tank, thanks to the Eco-Throttle system.
- The technology of this generator means stable, clean power in a lighter and smaller package.
Specifications of Honda Portable Inverter Generator
|Engine||121cc Honda GXR120|
|Fuel tank||0.95 gallon|
|Run time||23 hours|
|Noise level||57 dB(A)|
|Dimensions||20 x 11.4 x 16.7|
Honda Portable Inverter Generator
- Portable and lightweight inverter generator
- Reliable Honda engine
- Extraordinarily quiet, between 48 and 5 dB noise
- Easy to use with a safety feature to protect the engine
- Three years warranty
- Limited to 3.2 hours run time at rated output
- Does not include RV-ready outlet, 240-volt capacity or USB charging port
3. Generac Guardian – Standby Air Generator (Aluminum, 22 / 19.5 kW)
Our lives depend on power. From essentials like cooling, heating, and lights to the daily necessaries like laundry, cooking, and kid’s bath-time, we depend on electricity. Unfortunately, the modern lifestyles are in ever-greater jeopardy.
The power outages are occurring ever and long-lasting, with the devastating effects. You can protect your family and homes with the Generac automatic standby generator and keep your life without any disruption.
The Generac generator promise means that we guarantee that 9 to 22-kilowatt guardian series home standby generators will provide you peace of mind and the power to live. It means that we build and engineer them in America. It comes with an active 5 years warranty.
This generator will help you to save your money on installation with the same reliability and peace of mind you get from the other Generac home standby generators.
Another fantastic feature of this generator is the removable door panels and a base pad that demands minimal ground preparation. Efficient wiring techniques that will save you time in the installation process.
Features of Generac Generators
- Up protection for your whole house with the 200-amp, NEMA 3R (aluminum outer shell) smarter switch
- Power technology offers better quality power with less than 5% THD to clean, smooth operation for sensitive electric devices.
- Comes with the 5-year warranty for automatic standby generators
- Generac generators are specially designed with internal, external parts in the United States.
- The Generac’s G-force engine is capable of handling the rigors of generators use, resulting in power and most reliable that needs less maintenance routine.
Specifications of Generac Generators
|Amps||240V LPG 91.6|
|Amps||340V NG 81.3|
|Dimensions||48 x 25 x 29|
|Standard with mobile link||Yes|
|Product model number||7043|
- This generator comes with large capacity.
- This generator comes with a large capacity. Runs on two types of fuel
- Low THD
- Mobile link remote monitoring system
- Extreme weather-resistant design and durable
- Self-test quiet mode
- LCD control panel
- Need frequent maintenance from a professional
- Excludes battery
- Warranty never comes with the spare parts
4. Briggs & Stratton 40445
A standby generator is a useful and essential appliance. It will power up your household appliances during the power outage. Emergencies such as power outage are unpredictable and inevitable. It will help you to provide electricity.
This is the main reason to treat a generator as an essential investment. The generator is not the cheapest power equipment to have at home; before buying the generator, you should have a good value for your money.
Briggs & Stratton is the leading brand all over the world for engine production. It comes with some straightforward and functional features that make it highly reliable as a home standby generator. One of the main features of this generator is the quick response feature.
This makes it possible for the generator to automatically power up your office/home upon detection of the power outage. It will automatically shut down once power has returned.
It comes with a transfer switch feature that enables all home appliances to be powered and to transfer the demand of power from the main power supply to the generator. Another feature in this generator is the symphony power management system.
The system allows you a more efficient distribution of power supply to other appliances connected to the generator. This model is highly safe and reliable for any office or home. There’s no need to worry about the overloading, overheating, or any other riks. You can rely on its tight tot lines due to its flexibility and easy installation.
Features of Briggs & Stratton
- This generator manages the energy for all your devices. It will offer you permanent protection for power outages.
- Briggs & Stratton has provided excellent quality and reliable engine power for more than 1-00 years.
- The customer-friendly warranty offers a 5 years parts, travel, and labor limited warranty.
- This 8kw generator is the smart choice for the discerning homeowner that is looking or the most stylish, reliable, and permanent backup power solution.
- The 50 amp automatic transfer switch gives you the essential power system. This system allows you to cover the basics by powering only a selected number of circuits.
- You can install your generator as close as 18 from your home. These generators comply with the stringent national fire protection agency 37 standards.
- Transfer switch style standard installation
Specifications of Briggs & Stratton
|Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton|
|Consumer engine warranty||4 years|
|Engine PRM||3600 RPM|
|Fuel type||LP/Natural Gas|
|Dimension||28L X 24.4W X 35.1H|
Briggs & Stratton
- 8000 watts
- Automatic and quick response powers up the generator within some seconds of a power outage.
- The transfer switch also included at no added cost.
- Meets NFPA 3 standard
- User-friendly control panel
- A transfer switch included
- You have to buy a wireless monitor separately to keep an eye on your generator with ease.
- No cable included for installation
5. Kohler Air-Cooled Standby Generator – Best 100 Amp Transfer Switch Single Phase
The Kohler 20RESAL-100 generator helps you to protect your family, home, and lifestyle from the power outage effects. Whether home or office, experience the peace of mind that only comes from knowing that generators will automatically start whenever the power goes out.
The generator provides motor-starting power that starts work in just 10 seconds.
The Kohler generators deliver high quality and reliable performance used by airports, hospitals, homes, and offices. This generator comes with the 100amp 16-circuit automatic transfer switch.
The Kohler generator comes with the feature of a massive duty engine built to exceed the standby power. You can keep your groceries cold, your family will comfortable, and your basement dry. It doesn’t matter whatever the weather’s doing. When utility failure and a bad storm knocks out your power, the Kohler generator keeps you connected to what you like to do.
You can install this generator outside your home or office, only like an air-conditioning unit.
This unit comes on automatically during a power outage, whether you’re office or home.
Features of Kohler Standby Generator
- When the power goes out, 20000-watt air-cooled generator automatically startups
- 16-circuit automatic transfer switch includes 100 amp
- Premium power quality will provide power to your whole house in 10 seconds; quiet operation
- 100% protection from even the harshest seaside conditions
- Measure 48 by 26.2 by 29 inches; battery type needed group51
- Five years of warranty from the registered startup date.
Specifications of Kohler Standby Generator
|Maker||Lawn & Garden|
|Product weight||560 pounds|
|Product dimensions||48 x 26.2 29 inches|
|Product model number||20rescl-100LC|
Kohler Standby Generator
- Data and time display
- Automatic start with the programmed cranking cycle
- Mini USB for site tech connection
- Built-in 2.5 amp battery charger
- Digital isochronous to maintain steady-state speed at all loads
- Field-connection terminal block
- Critical silencer
- Poor local customer service
- Complicated setup
6. DuroMax XP4400EH Hybrid Dual Fuel Portable Generator
A generator is an essential machine when a backup source of electricity is important. When the power outage this unit work and will provides electricity to your home appliances.
This is a compact and durable generator, which includes a wheel kit that makes it easy to bring on camping trips, going to a Jobsite, or moving from one place to another.
This generator will provide 3500 running watts, which is enough to run home appliances with ease. It has four-gallon fuel capacity. For simplicity and convenience, there is an extra fuel gauge that allows you to know how much fuel is used at a glance.
After running the half load, the unit will be able to run up to 20 hours. The unit comes with the electric start with backup EZ pull recoil. This generator is equipped with a super quiet muffler, which keeps the noise to a minimum level.
Features of DuroMax Portable Generator
- The XP4400EH comes with 7HP, 208CC OHV engine, and dual-fuel technology.
- Ability to run on gasoline or propane that allows the flexibility and freedom of fuel choice
- Plenty of power with the 4400 starting watts and 3500 running watts, the generator provides the ability to handle multiple jobs from powering high voltage machines to heavy-duty power tools.
- More power with DuroMax MX2 technology get more from each of the 120-volt receptacles.
- Like other DuroMax generators, this XP4400EH is CARB and EPA, also comes with the cover.
Specifications of DuroMax Portable Generator
|Running Watts||3,500 watts|
|Surge Wattage||4,400 watts|
|Tank Size||4 gallons|
|Run Time||8 hours @ 1/2 load|
|Noise Level||69 dB|
DuroMax Portable Generator
- Electric start
- Runs on propane mean that runs reliably
- Backup pull cord which is used when the battery dies
- Heavy steel frame body with four-point isolated motor along with the installed muffler
- Idle control which holds PRM steady when heavy appliances are in use
- Simple power panel which includes engine shutoff, circuit breaker, and voltmeter
- Not available yet
7. Ai Power SUA12000EC 12000 W Gas Generator with Electric Starter
The A-ipower SUA12000E is powerful enough to provide electricity to the whole house, a construction site, or a large company during a power outage. This unit is portable and can be easily taken on vocations to remote areas.
When you consider a generator, two specifications will always be listed, starting watts and running watts. The starting watts is the load beyond the rated running watts. The AiPower SUA12000E is rated for 9000w running power; it will handle all the startup current thrown at it.
However, it can rely on the overloaded reserve when running continuously at 9000 watts. All power appliances and tools draw more power during startup. Machines like over refrigerators have more inrush current of about 13 amps.
Features of Ai Power Gas Generator
- 12000 starting watts and 9000 running watts
- 120vac / 240vac, single phase
- Four-stroke engines with electric start 495cc/16hp ohv single-cylinder and air-cooled.
- High-performance alternator
- Ergonomically angled, easy access compact control panel
- For secure power connections Multiple front-panel outlets
- The weatherproof cover gives added protection from the rugged working conditions and environment and makes it the best whole house generator as well as the best portable generator.
- Single touch push-button start
- Cast iron cylinder sleeves
- Intelligent automatic voltage regulator
- Heavy-duty, 7 gallons, all-steel fuel tanks that provides up to 9 hours of run time at half load
- Seamless welding
- Fuel tank breather hose provides more protection from accidental damage
- Built-in DC adaptor plug and dc charging cables for circuit breakers switches
Specifications of Ai Power Gas Generator
|Product weight||221 pounds|
|Product model number||SUA12000EC|
Ai Power Gas Generator
- Several outages
- 9000 running watts
- Equipped with a strong 459cc engine with 16 HP
- Comes with a gas gauge
- Simple and easy start system
- Single-cylinder engine
- Makes loud noise
8. Briggs & Stratton 40346 Home Standby Generator
The Briggs & Stratton home standby generator is one of the best whole house generators that is an ideal choice for your home with one or two central HVAC units. This unit comes with a powerful, rugged 35HP engine, which can be found in tractors. However, this is a reliable unit and weekly diagnostic run like clockwise.
The Briggs & Stratton 40346 20000-watt home standby system with the 200 Amp automatic transfer switch is an excellent generator that works either in small and large spaces.
The 200-amp transfer switch gives you enough power to run two air conditioners and still provides power to all the other appliances in your home.
The installation process of this generator is very complicated. However, bring an electrician for 240V hookup. We will also get the maintenance kit with filters and handy oil as extras.
Likewise, here is a heater kit that is recommended by those living in cold-weather regions, as the light 5W30 oil can tend toward freezing. Here is a significant plus point in this generator that can control the generator straight from your computer.
Features of 40346 Briggs & Stratton
- The generator includes a 200 amp automatic transfer switch with flexible installation, either indoor or outdoor.
- This 20kW with Symphony power management can manage your home, up to 12000 square feet with a 5-ton air conditioner that saves thousands less than a previously required large, liquid-cooled unit.
- The customer-friendly limited warranty is one of the excellent comprehensive in the industry and offers you five years limited warranty.
- You can install this generator as close to as 18 form your home. These generators are in compliance with the stringent national fire protection agency.
- The unique airflow technology makes all these models 50% quieter.
- The 100 amp transfer switch gives more power to your all home appliances, featuring our patented symphony power management.
- This switch manages the load of 1 or 2 air conditioners at the same time other home appliances are used.
Specifications of 40346 Briggs & Stratton
|Manufacturer||Briggs and Stratton|
|Voltage||120/240V Single Phase|
|AC Ton Rating||5 Ton|
|Decibel Rating||7m 69 dbA|
|Series Name||Symphony II|
|Starting System||Automatic Start|
|Dimensions||48L x 34W x 31H|
|Engine Brand||Vanguard V-Twin|
|Cooling System||Air Cooled|
|Auto Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Type||Natural Gas (NG) / Propane (LP)|
|NG Power Capacity||18kW|
|LP Power Capacity||20kW|
|Consumer Warranty||5 Year Limited Warranty|
40346 Briggs & Stratton
- Strong Enough to power all household appliances with two air conditioners at the same time
- This generator provides up to 20000 watts of power for your entire home
- The generator includes the faster switch for connecting it to your power supply.
- Limited warranty of 5 years
- For installation, you must pay extra
9. Kohler Generators 14RESAL-200SELS Standby Generator
You can keep your basement dry, groceries are cold and your family comfortable. Whatever the weather condition doesn’t matter. When a utility failure or bad storm knocks out your power, the Kohler generator keeps you connected with your electrical world.
The Kohler generator offers a heavy-duty engine built to exceed the demand for standby power. You can easily install the Kohler standby generator outside your home like an air-conditioning unit.
Features of Kohler Generator
- Premium power quality protects your sophisticated electronics from damage.
- You will get 2000 hours warranty, five years, with a corrosion-proof enclosure that’s built to last.
- Fast response in just 10 seconds generator will automatically power your AC, pump, heat, and other machines like the fridge and oven at the same time.
- Massive duty engine generators built to exceed the demands of standby power.
Specifications of Kohler Generator
|Product dimensions||48 x26.2 x 29 inches|
|Item weight||470 pounds|
|Rated power liquid||(kW) 14|
|Rated power natural||(kW) 12|
|Amps liquid propane||58 / 50|
|Engine Kohler command||PRO|
- The air-cooled design keeps this unit from overheating with heavier loads.
- Instant power after the power outage within 10 seconds
- Automatically transfer or reduce the power supply based on the machines used.
- Five years limited warranty
- You need to purchases a separate battery.
10. Champion 100294 – Standby Power Generator
Are you looking for the best whole house generator for a home? Then Champion standby power generator is an excellent choice for you that comes with 14KW as its power output on natural gas and propane.
The noise level of the generator is 63 dB, and this is the sound of a normal conversation or low muffler tones. Like other generators, this unit comes with a 200 amp automatic transfer switch for high functioning.
The generator starts working so soon when you experience a blackout. Therefore, you won’t have to wake up in the night to switch it on. The 24-volt starting system makes the generator operates in extreme heat weather. There’s no need for a warming kit since it’s a high-quality generator.
The harmonic distortion is a minimum of 5%. Which means you won’t need to worry about your delicate electronics receiving damaging. You can keep this generator close to 18 inches from your homes.
Another benefit of this unit has it can withstand the storm and salty environment. In short, its anti-corrosive.
Otherwise, this unit offers you a ten-year warranty with technical support. Additionally, it can perform weekly diagnostics on it and alerts you if there’s any problem.
Features of Champion Power 100294
- During the power outage, the Ats 200 whole house transfer switch with demand control provides managed power to your home.
- Champion power operates at a residential-friendly 63 dba noise level thanks to the specially designed low-tone muffler.
- 24-volt starting system works in extreme heat with no warming kit, plus the generator performs weekly self-diagnostic tests.
- This generator provides 14000 watts of continuous power on propane and 12500 watts of natural gas with no needed manual operation, no refueling, and no extension cords.
- 10 years of warranty with lifetime technical support from dedicated experts.
Specifications of Champion Power 100294
|Max continuous power rating||14000 (LP) / 12500 (NG)|
|Fuel types||Natural gas. Liquid propane|
|Transfer switch||Ats 200|
|Item weight||494 pounds|
|Manufacturers||Champion Power Equipment|
Champion Power 100294
- Champion power Produces power and less than 5% total harmonic distortion.
- 24-volt starting system offers you to operate in both hot and cold weather.
- Comes with a durable and sturdy enclosure
- Low THD
- Fuel efficient
- Gull-wing style enclosure
- Mounting pad included
- 10 years limited warranty
- Required technical support to install the generator
- Some issues reported with the automatic starts
When you visit a market for buying the best whole house generator, you will see that there are lots of choices. You want to power your home, having the best standby generator is of paramount importance.
You will end up with something top-notch quality that will come in handy during power outages. But, they are different models; they will offer you various features, and which means every single generator is ideal for different situations.
However, there all various models that seem to stand out from the rest in certain aspects. If you want a generator that offers quieter operation, the Briggs & Stratton has the smallest footprint, Generate core power comes to advanced features.
In our reviews, every generator has an edge over the other in one or a few aspects. But Kohler takes the top spot as best whole house generator because it offers automatic start in just 10 seconds after a power outage.
After this buyer’s guide, we hope that you can easily purchase the best whole house generator for your home without any confusion.